The purpose of the Applications service is twofold:
- allow developers to package a Platform 6 app they have built,
- allow end users to install or uninstall packaged apps.
A packaged P6 app is a compressed, signed and encrypted file containing all the resources required for the app to be installed on any other P6 instance.
To see the Applications menu entry on the Portal, the
applications=view permission is required.
The ‘Applications’ tab displayed by the Portal is split in two sections: ‘Packaged applications’ and ‘Applications under development’.
This sections shows three different types of applications:
- Applications that have been packaged on the instance and are ready to be downloaded and distributed (grey ‘Switch’ icon in the ‘Actions’ column, red cross in the ‘Installed’ column)
- Imported applications that have not yet been installed on the instance (blue ‘Switch’ icon in the ‘Actions’ column, red cross in the ‘Installed’ column)
- Imported applications currently installed on the instance (orange ‘Switch’ icon in the ‘Actions’ column, green check mark in the ‘Installed’ column)
Applications under development¶
This section lists applications that are being developed on the instance and offers, for each of them, the ability to…
- Edit the application (name, version, status, expiration, min and max P6 Core versions, packaged service items…)
- Delete the application
- Update the service items that are part of the app package
- Package the application and create the .p6app file